Thursday, May 7, 2009

GF Pan-seared Tilapia with Green Beans and Grape Tomatoes

I wasn't sure that I was going to share this recipe because of a specific item that won't be available everywhere, but it really does taste great and I think it could be easily adjusted.
I really do love Wegman's grocery stores, especially for all of the gluten-free items they sell, not to mention the fact that their store brand has codes on the front of their packaging, including a little yellow G on all the gluten-free items.
Wegman's sends me a magazine occasionally with great recipes. And this comes from one. The original recipe is not Gluten-free, but it was easy for me to modify.

12 oz green beans, cleaned, cut and trimmed
4 tilapia fillets (about 6 oz each)
1/4-1/2 cup Four Flour Bean Mix (I've learned it works the very best for browning meats)
1 Tbsp Pure Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Wegmans Basting Oil (I just use canola oil for a different flavor)
1 tsp butter
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (this time I used cherry tomatoes and quartered them)
2 Tbsp Wegmans Lemon-Dill Finishing Butter (This is obviously the reason I wasn't going to share this, but you could add your own dill, lemon, butter and some garlic, and it would probably give you a similar effect)


  1. Blanch green beans 1-2 min in large pot of boiling, salted water. Drain; set aside.
  2. Dust tilapia with flour. Pat off excess.
  3. Heat olive oil in skillet on MEDIUM-HIGH, until oil faintly smokes; add fish.
  4. Turn over when fish changes color one-quarter of the way up and seared side has turned paper bag-brown, 2-3 min. Reduce heat to MEDIUM.Cook 3-5 min, until internal temp reaches 120 degrees; check by inserting thermometer halfway into thickest part of fish.
  5. Add basting oil and butter to pan. Swirl. Baste with spoon, 1-3 min, until internal temp reaches 130 degrees. Transfer to clean platter; let rest at least 2 min.
  6. Add green beans, tomatoes, and lemon-dill butter or citrus soy sauce to pan; heat, stirring, 30 seconds. Serve over tilapia.
My whole family loves this meal, even my two and five year old daughters. We served it with some fresh corn on the cob tonight and it made for an easy cheap, and fairly healthy gluten free meal. I hope that this helps some of you to figure out another good meal.

No comments: